Joined: 24 Jun 2011
First of all, you need to make the brown rice flour mix.
Brown Rice Flour (extra finely ground) 2 cups 6 cups
Potato Starch (not potato flour) 2/3 cup 2 cups
Tapioca Flour 1/3 cup 1 cup
Total 3 cups 9 cups
For all the GL free recipes I post, you're gonna need some of that brown rice flour mix.
So I suggest making 9 cups, so you always have it.
Now for the actual recipe
1 cup Brown Rice Flour Mix
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Position rack in center of oven. Spray bottom of 8-inch square
baking pan with cooking spray, and generously dust with rice flour.
2. Put flour, sugar, and xanthan gum in large bowl of electric mixer; mix to blend. Add
butter and mix on low speed until crumbly. Press dough into bottom of baking pan.
3. Bake in center of oven for 15 minutes or until very light golden.
TIPS: Leave the butter out for a little while to soften it, or put it in the microwave for
about 5 seconds. Then cut it into chunks, before you add it to the bowl.
3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Brown Rice Flour Mix
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
Confectioner's sugar (for decoration)
1. Beat eggs in large bowl of electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Add sugar, flour,
baking powder, salt, lemon juice, lemon rind, and lemon extract. Beat until well blended.
Pour onto partially baked crust.
2. Bake in center of oven for 20 minutes or until set. cool on wire rack. Cut into 16
squares or triangles; remove from baking pan onto serving plate. Sift confectioner's sugar
over tops. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Key Lime Squares
Substitute 1/3 cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice (or other brand of key lime juice.
Regular lime juice is not the same) for lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons lime rind for lemon
rind. Use lime extract, if available instead of lemon extract.